Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Around the House-Outdoor Christmas Urns

So, if you haven't noticed by now...I love everything about Christmas! Especially decorating! Outdoor Christmas decor is no exception...the lights and stuff I leave to my husband (well, I tell him where I want them and he puts them there!LOL!). But I love the look of beautifully decorated planters framing the entrance way. I know some people rush off to their local grocery store or garden center and grab up the latest and greatest greenery...but I'm from the country...where we go out and bring our axe to do the dirty work. Ya, right!!! Actually, all you need is a pair of garden clippers and your good to go! So go find a quiet dirt road and look for some red dogwood branches, white pines branches, cedar clippings...anything that you think might be appealing for your holiday decor! Have it ready? Good...let's begin!


1. Lay out all your piles of goodies...I actually splurged this year and bought a few glitzy props...I spent about $15 on the large pine cones and gold balls (they came on sticks and I couldn't resist!)


2. Set some large stones in the bottom of you urn or pot. My urns are plastic so I needed the extra weight in the bottom for those blustery winter days! Then fill with dirt, I used recycled potting soil from my summer planters.


3. Start by placing your tall pieces (sticks) into one corner or the middle of your pot. You need to have some height in your pots to give them some visual interest..who wants to look at a bunch of cedar shoved in a pot?! Boring!


4. Next, start placing the bigger branches of greenery around your sticks and the outside of your pot. Leave a small opening in the front of your pot for your accessories if your using them. If not fill it completely with greenery. I just played around and fluffed them till they looked good!

I have no idea what these are, but they look so cool!!

That's it! Your done!! Stand back and admire your handy work!!!

7 comments:

Seaweed and Raine said...

Very cool. I sometimes wish that I lived in the northern hemisphere... getting the greenery to stay green in all the heat might not work as well as it does for you - I'm tempted to try it anyway. :)

the cape on the corner said...

that is AMAZING! i love that it's all greens, not red like with poinsettias. this would work for all winter long. i wish i had some fabulous greens to cut from. and some pinecones wouldn't hurt either.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

I love this look and the combination of natural and faux elements. Great ideas!
Visiting from the Girl Creative. :)

Unknown said...

Lovely! The red bushy branches are sumac.

Unknown said...

Lovely! The red bushy branches are sumac.

Lish @ Imprintalish said...

Sumac!!! Thank you so much-I got more for this year too :)

naturegirl said...

The red twiggy branches were correctly identified as red twig dogwood. The dense fuzzy red "flowers" are from the staghorn sumac.